Tuesday, January 4, 2011

New Goals. And a few thoughts on "failure"...

I am so ready for this year! I have spent the past four years going through – and coming out of – some life changing experiences. I have made things happen for myself, and have challenged myself to reach new goals. I am so ready for new experiences. I can’t wait to go for new goals, and hopefully reach some of them. This is my year to expand my experiences, my world-view, to build on the newfound sense of calm I am feeling, and let it bring me good things. I feel happy, and very excited for what is to come.

I received my first acceptance of 2011 yesterday! My essay “Memories from a Black Thumb” will be published in the February issue of Sasee Magazine.

On another note, I am working on a few query letters for articles I hope to get published in national magazines. I am learning all about how to write and send a query letter and what information is critical, how to attach published clips (now that I have some!), etc. I expect to receive quite a few rejection letters, but hey Stephen King wallpapered his bedroom with them, and a thick rejection file just means that I am trying. A few quotes on this topic that I think are great:

Failure is an event, never a person. ~William D. Brown

The only time you don't fail is the last time you try anything - and it works. ~William Strong




I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. ~Thomas Edison

There is no failure except in no longer trying. ~Elbert Hubbard




Supposing you have tried and failed again and again. You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. ~Mary Pickford




Failure doesn't mean you are a failure... it just means you haven't succeeded yet. ~Robert Schuller


Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat. ~F. Scott Fitzgerald


No comments:

Post a Comment