Monday, July 18, 2011

What Was Your First Concert?



Remember your very first concert? I do. It was 1980. I was 8 years old. We went with our neighbors, in their station wagon, to see the Osmond Family. Donny sang Puppy Love. It was groovy.

Okay, I don't know if that really counts...the next concert I went to was Dan Folgerberg at the Fox Theatre. I was 15. Went with my best friend, my dad and step mom. Not sure if this one really counts either, as it was the Fox, we were seated the entire time (although I do remember we had great seats), and there were no waving lighters, no screaming.

I saw Rick Springfield in concert at Six Flags (I'm guessing he sang "Jessie's Girl over and over again...what else was there?). Then went to a few shows in my late teens...ZZ Top, Scorpions, Billly Squier (how I loved Billy Squier, hot pink leather pants and all).
Oh, yeah... and U2. My brother and I stood in line for hours to get crappy seats to see Bono and The Edge at the old Busch Stadium. It was awesome.
Since then I've seen Carlos Santana a couple times, then Kenny Chesney, Toby Keith, and Trace Adkins (guess I went through a country phase).
I saw RUSH for the first time in 2007, Van Halen (with David Lee Roth and a teenage, pimply-faced, albeit talented, Wolfgang accompanying his dad on guitar) in 2008 and RUSH (again) in 2009 (this time around was a little better, speaking strictly of set list and sound quality).

Last night, I had the pleasure of seeing U2 again. I took my oldest son, Connor.
At 14, it was time he experienced his first rock concert. And I really want to be the one to take all of my kids their first time. Connor and I have music (and writing, and books) in common, so it seemed fitting. I think he enjoyed it. The sheer size and sound of it all. 50,000 fans singing I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For. Very cool.

My favorites off last night's set list were (in order of performance):
I Will Follow
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
Many Rivers To Cross (I know he only did the first few lines, but I love this song - especially Annie Lenox's version)
Pride (In the Name of Love)
Sunday Bloody Sunday
One
Hallellujah (Again, only the first verse here, and I know it's not his, but I love this song, and I loved his voice singing it)
Where the Streets Have No Name
With or Without You
New Year's Day (which I heard as we were walking to the car...Damn! We left too early!)

I would have loved to hear "40" if only so that we (the audience) could sing along with Bono ("Sing this with me, this is 40!" If you have the album, you know what I'm talking about).
Would have loved to hear a few off Rattle & Hum (God Part II, Desire, Bullet the Blue Sky), and although they did play three off Joshua Tree, I would have loved to hear Trip Through Your Wires (love that harmonica) or In God's Country.

(And, No, Joe, they did not play Lemon. However, they did play Elevation, and I read that in early concerts on the Tour they did, in fact, play Lemon, as well as one of my favorites - Party Girl - sorry to have missed that one).

All in all, it was a GREAT show.

But I digress..."What was your first concert?" is a common question. And I love that Connor's answer will be "U2" (it sure as hell beats Donny Osmond!) And whether or not he chooses to let people know that he went with his mom, we'll always share that memory. I've got the photo (above), and the ticket stub to prove it.

What was your first concert? How about your favorite (so far)?

No comments:

Post a Comment