Friday, May 11, 2012

Three Cheers for the corner table by the window

I met two dear friends for dinner this past Friday night.  Nothing untoward about that.  And normally I wouldn't write a blog post about it.  But, something happened at that little establishment that was so out of the ordinary, so... unheard of these days, that I felt it earned a spot on my blog this month.

Pull up a chair.

I walked in to meet KM & KT (not their real names) and spotted them at - you guessed it - the corner table by the window.  There they were, sitting across from each other, smiling, talking, laughing.  Dare I say...holding hands.  Nothing outlandish there either.  Anyway, I greeted them with big hugs, sat next to KM and was immediately approached by a darling waiter from whom I kindly ordered a pomegranate martini, please (thank you very much).

They were just finishing their dinner and so we ordered a (delicious) dessert and continued with our conversation.  When finally the waiter came over to drop off the check, he stopped and said to us, "I just have to tell you guys how awesome you were." (umm, yes, we know, but...huh?)

He proceeded to tell us that he loved waiting on us because we talked to each other, laughed...basically were engaged, rather than texting, talking, posting and/or tweeting on our respective phones.  Wow.  This guy must see a lot of that.  Sad.

It could be that he was just gunning for a good tip (he got one), but I think he meant it.

I am thankful for great friends, silent phones at restaurants...and good service : )


Have a fabulous weekend all.  And Happy Mother's Day to all us Mamas!


4 comments:

  1. When I go out with friends we laugh so hard and include the server in our fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The last time I went out to eat with friends--who happened to be writers--we wrote round-robin limericks, and even wrote one for our waiter.

    Yes, communication amongst so many is pitiful...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing annoys me more than being out with someone who feels it necessary to check their phone or answer it while having dinner... errr.

    Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with the others. We mothers need to teach our children that there are times NOT to text. Hope you had a great Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete