Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Know Any Multitasking Moms?

A box came today. I opened the front door to get the mail and there it was. Nondescript. Leaned up against the pale yellow vinyl siding, casual-like. A pool of crack-ly leaves protecting it from the last cold gusts of winter. Maybe it had been waiting there a day or two, I don't know. We don't use the front door all that often.

I thought it might be the pants I'd ordered from Eddie Bauer for Connor. I have yet to find a store that sells a casual, slim fit khaki pant in 30/34. No one believes you can be that thin and that tall (I assure you, he comes by it honestly). So I order the 32/34 and then we have them tailored to fit.

But I digress. It wasn't the pants (where are they anyway? I ordered them a week ago!), but a box of books. Chicken Soup for the Soul books. I have a story published in one of their latest titles: "The Multitasking Mom's Survival Guide." This was a really difficult story for me to write and so I am at once proud and terrified of it. As a writer, I realize that the best writing comes from honest emotion. And I'm not talking about the fluffy "Hallmark" stuff. I mean the real. raw. feelings. It's difficult enough to admit our faults - especially as moms. But to admit them to the world at large? In words printed in a book and put on a shelf that can't be taken back? That's hard. But no false emotion, no faux difficulty is going to be worth reading, right? And so I wrote my truth. And it was tough. And it hurt. But, it worked. And maybe... some other mom out there who's going through her own tough time will read it and realize she's not alone. And that's exactly why I sent that story in. And maybe that's why they published it. Who knows.

But I digress (again). They did. And so it's in this book with 100 other great stories of moms who are juggling families and jobs and health issues and aging parents, and stress and... life. And I'm proud to be a part of it.

And I wonder - do you know a mom like this? Tell me about her, would you? I'd like to pick a few of these fabulous moms and send them one of the books. You can tell me in the comments, or shoot me an email at beth@bethmwood.com. Make sure to include your email address - and hers.

Speaking of moms, I'm thrilled that a story I submitted has been chosen for the Listen To Your Mother auditions here in St. Louis. Next week, I'll be joining 39 other very talented women/writers/moms (among them an old friend from high school - shout out to Shannon Rooney Mette!) - to read my story aloud for the judges. Only 12 will be chosen to read at the live event, but hey - I'm thrilled to have made it this far!

We moms have stories to tell! What's yours? Chicken Soup is looking for Stories ABOUT Moms and Stories BY Moms (along with a few other titles). What are you waiting for? Check it out here.


9 comments:

  1. Beth--Moms everywhere can be reassured after reading your story in this collection. We all stumble, and sometimes we screw up, but we do it all out of love...

    Congratulations on the book. By the way, this CS anthology is now selling for $142 per copy. People all over the planet are snapping it up in preorders, because it's the only CS book collection that does NOT have a story in it by Linda O'Connell.

    Get 'em while you can, readers...

    ReplyDelete
  2. And yours, Sioux!! I'm in fantastic company : )
    Haha - that's about right - so rare it's a collector's item!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know a fabulous multi-tasking mom.... YOU:) I think being a multi-tasker is just natural when you are raising children and working at your career (in/out of the home).

    ReplyDelete
  4. So proud two of my friends were able to tell their stories. The best writing does come from the heart. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I m stopping by because as a contributor I got my books this week too. I was really touched by your story because as a working mom I hit a similar peak last year that left me crying and yelling too much. It is hard to share the tough stuff but I think when we do is when we re best able to help others. I plan on followingyou to read more great stuff.
    Angela @ Time with A & N (story 22)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angela, thanks so much for stopping by & letting me know. I'll look forward to reading your story! It's the toughest job there is, but so worth the ride :)

      Delete
  6. Congratulations on both of your writing successes! WootWoot!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations, and how cool that you've already touched lives with your story! That's the value of honesty!

    ReplyDelete