Thursday, November 10, 2011

1 + 3 + 4 = Glutony, or "Gimme a G!"

 The Luscious 4-Berry Martini @ Charlie Gitto's
 Scrumptious Banana Cream Pie
Death...By Chocolate ; )

I've been famished lately.  I don't know what to attribute this to...I have teenage and pre-teen boys in the house who routinely make their way through the fridge and pantry, but lately I've been right there with 'em.  Could be the sheer amount of hours I've been working lately.  In the office, at home, early mornings, late nights, and still trying to pursue the NaNoWriMo project (oh please, I'm rolling my eyes as I write this.)  Although, my oldest is having surgery next week, so I'm hoping I'll have ample "hurry up and wait" time to write a few thousand words.

But I digress, I was speaking of Glutony.  It all started last Saturday night.  One bar + three girls + (who knows how many) four-berry martinis = a LOT of laughs, a few turned heads and funny looks, a few conversations with other bar flies, and some fantastic food.  And lots of it.  I think this is what I needed to de-stress my mind and re-energize my soul after a week's worth of work, work, work.

Thanks, girls, for the friendship, the laughs, and the fun (not to mention the s&p shakers and that mini-gourd)!  See, girls' night really is good for your health!  And it helped to make up for the fact that I missed my Wednesday night WWWP group.

Speaking of girls' night out...an old high school classmate of mine recently posted on facebook about desperately needing one of these nights.  Jo - I hope you lose the mom-guilt (or catholic guilt...the combo is fierce, I know!) and plan that trip back to the Lou just for You (hey, I'm a poet...).

So tell me, what helps you de-stress your mind and re-energize your soul?

6 comments:

  1. Every other Wednesday evening I laugh at this tall young thing with a sense of humor out of this world and not an ounce of fat on her body. BTW she indulges in the same berry martinis :) Miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I'm wondering why you post pictures of rich desserts. I KNOW you don't eat those.

    Chocolate. Reading a great book. Walking my dog. A day at the wineries in Ste. Genevieve. All those things relax me. (And my every-other-Wednesday group meeting is the highlight of my week.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beth, you are so right! Us girls (and moms) tend to lose ourselves in the craziness that is life. There will always be sports games or dance classes or piano lessons or sleepovers or... but we need to take the time for ourselves occasionly. We need that time to remember who we are (I *am* still funny!), reconnect with others who makes us feel alive and simply recharge the ol' batteries. Thanks for helping me remember that. I think a trip home for a girl's night is in my future. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Linda...miss you, too! (p.s. My sense of humor's got nothing on you!)

    Sioux...Let me just say that, if i'd been there last Wednesday, I would have gladly proven my dessert-eating capabilities with that birthday cake. But then, you guys wouldn't have gotten any!

    Jo...thanks for stopping by! We do need our girls to remind us of who we are. Hope you make it back. I was going to apologize for the "old" reference, but then noticed that you said "the ol' batteries" - ha! Crazy that we are all turning 40 this year. That's just another reasons we deserve time to ourselves ; )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Beth--yummy desserts. I just spent the day with two of my cousins and one stop was the Blue Owl in Kimmswick, need I say more about desserts? So much for my no-sugar intake! Good luck with your son and his surgery and hope you're able to get lots of writing done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A "Girls' Night Out" is such a great stress reliever! All of you "youngsters" need to remember that and make time to be with your friends. I was out last night with my favorite group (teachers I worked with at a school that is now closed). We have a strong bond and it grows deeper every time we are together.

    Walking in the early morning, spending time with my children, playing with my grandchildren, reading a great book, travel, shopping with my best friend, prayer...all of these de-stress my life and bring me great joy:)

    ReplyDelete