Wednesday, November 2, 2011

A Writer's Advice Taken - OR - My NaNoWriMo Quest

On his website, in answer to the question "Do you have any advice for writers?" Chris Cleave (author of the phenomenal "Little Bee") writes, in part, "...think of yourself as a storyteller, rather than a capital-W Writer or a capital-N Novelist."

I've been working on an idea for months now.  I've jotted notes, written paragraphs, organized chapters, even created an outline.  Thought I had it all figured out.  So last night, as I continued my NaNoWriMo quest (National Novel Writing Month - check it out here), I remembered Chris' words, and decided to give it a try.

Stilled my fingers.  Closed my eyes.  Pictured myself sitting in a cozy chair, telling a story to a good friend.  And began typing.  400 words later I hit on something.  And realized that it had worked.  I actually had butterflies in my stomach.  This is exciting.  If you ever find yourself stuck, try this technique.  Sometimes, we find ourselves trying to mold our story/essay/book/poem into a pre-created mold.  That doesn't always work.  Instead, clear your mind of rules and expectations, and just...tell your story.

I am now at 2,900 words and still telling my story ; )

Got any good tricks for writing or writer's block?  What's your secret to getting an idea down on paper?

6 comments:

  1. Great idea and way to go with 2900 for NaNo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ANOTHER reason why I dislike you, Beth. I have word envy. I am going to sit down tonight and envision myself as a storyteller. And if my NaNo words do not flood out, I'm coming after you...

    We missed you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lynn & Sioux...I missed you ladies last night! But, I have to admit, I did get a great deal accomplished, so it was undeniably the right choice. And Sioux...you should hold the envy until you see what words I've written. It could be "I don't know what to write. I don't know what to write. I hate this. I hate this" ... ; )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep on taking time for your writing...no matter what. Please invite me to your first book signing:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to go Beth. It wasn't the same without you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great advice! Congratulations on getting your story out there!

    ReplyDelete