Monday, November 8, 2010

7 Weeks and Counting...

I had big plans for this weekend. An entire Saturday all to myself. These "kid free" weekends happen every other week. And it goes the same way every time. By Wednesday of KFW, I have a list of all the things I can finally get done. It usually includes catching up with a friend over a cup of coffee or a cocktail. It always includes catching up on laundry, dusting, sweeping, scrubbing toilets... you get the picture. This weekend though, I had added shopping to the list. Christmas shopping and birthday shopping. My sweet Jack is turning 11 on the 13th.

My KFW did start off as planned. Friday night, I had dinner and a much-needed glass of wine with a friend I hadn't seen in awhile. Saturday morning I checked birthday shopping off my list, started the laundry, cleaned the carpets (well, I didn't have much choice, as my dog got sick all over them), took said dog to the vet (where I dropped another $110 - which was most definitely NOT on my list), and made it to Jack's indoor soccer game. Still no Christmas shopping, but there was still Sunday...

It started out well...coffee with my very talented friend Linda, who always inspires me - and who, especially this time, reminded me that I'm not the only lonely writer who understands how hard it is to write honestly and still entertain. Afterwards, I ran by the mall, thinking I could scope out a few Christmas gift ideas. But, Lord, the minute I walked into that winter wonderland, I was ready to run..Santa’s Christmas area was all set up, complete with faux snow and red, velvet throne, all the little kiosks were being set up - the calendars, the stockings, the Christmas tree ornaments. I'm just not ready for this. I ran back to my car and headed home.

I did get to see Kathleen Turner in "High" at the REP. I highly recommend it - it was very intense, but the acting was outstanding. And if you haven't been to the REP, I highly recommend it, as well.

My weekend did end on a Christmas note, of sorts. The December EVERLAST catalogue was delivered yesterday. My (almost) 11 year old, Jack, is fascinated with all things boxing. He went through that catalog faster than I read People magazine and circled all the things he wanted for Christmas. One of these is a 16-foot square boxing ring. Oh yes! Complete with the ropes. This can be his for a mere $16,000.00. Plus shipping and handling. Hmmm…

He told me he’d happily get rid of all his bedroom furniture, including the bed and the PS2. "Where will you sleep?" I asked. He raised an eyebrow, lifted his hands, palms up, and said (exhasperated) “in the ring!” Of course! What was I thinking?


No comments:

Post a Comment